My mom LOVES lemon, so I wanted to make her a very lemony cupcake. I found a recipe for “Triple Citrus Cupcakes,” that used orange zest, lemon zest, and lime juice. I substituted lemon zest for the orange zest, and lemon juice for the lime juice to make it even more lemony. Plus, I added a lemon curd filling. So far, everyone who likes lemon says this is by far and away their favorite of the cupcakes I have made so far (including the brownie/cookie dough cupcakes I will post about tomorrow).
Lemon Lemon LEMON Cupcakes:
Makes 12 cupcakes (made 28)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar lemon curd
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Next, beat in oil. Gradually add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk in 2 parts.
4. Fill cupcake liners 1/2-2/3 full. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
5. Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
Lemon Glaze Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
5 Tbsp lemon juice
1. In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients, until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frosting should be more of a glaze consistency than a thick frosting.
1. Scoop out centers of cupcakes.
2. Fill with lemon curd.
3. Pipe frosting over the top so no curd shows.
4. Refrigerate for a few minutes to harden the glaze.
Elle: 10/10 These are freaking BOMB! I was a little bit disappointed in the actual cupcake. It is not at all lemony, despite the lemon zest. It really just tastes like a vanilla cupcake. I’m very glad we decided to add the lemon curd, because that really pulled the whole cupcake together and made it amazing!
Jeremy: 9/10 The addition of the lemon curd really made this cupcake. Without it, the cupcake was just a little plain.
Nate: 9/10 It was great! I liked how lemony it was compared to a normal lemon cupcake. A standard lemon cupcake is lemon-ish. This was lemonY!
Trevor didn’t try this cupcake because he doesn’t like lemon flavored stuff.
Richard: 9/10! I liked the texture change between the spongy cupcake, the lemon curd, and the glaze icing. It was a really nice contrast.
Aunt Shannon: Please make these again for Mother’s Day!
Mom: 10/10 Deliciously lemony cupcakes! I made a new descriptive word inspired by them: Gobbly-good! Love their super tarty goodness. What LEMON is supposed to taste like!